- Don’t sit when you can stand – You’ve probably heard it before, and for good reason. Too much sedentary behavior is bad for your heart, your brain, and your waistline. Swapping some of the time you sit for standing can help you burn calories. While this doesn’t burn a lot, it can help you to maintain your weight, especially if you lead a largely sedentary life.
- Swap for healthier food choices – From choosing to forgo ketchup on your fries, to choosing whole-grain instead of white bread, or even drinking water instead of soft drinks, there are numerous ways you can swap out your food choices for healthier options. These small changes can go a long way to reduce calories and help to keep the extra weight off. You can even start off by simply asking for less sugar in your morning kopi.
- Don’t skip meals – As busy individuals, going without a meal can slow metabolism, affect hormones and insulin levels, and contribute to unhealthy food choices when you do finally sit down to eat. Skipping meals can also induce cravings, which may result in unhealthy snacking throughout the day. The key is to keep a consistent schedule, whether that’s three meals a day and a couple of snacks, or five mini meals.
- Eat smaller portions – Portion management is an easy way to push down your weight (and reduce the strain on your pocket). The recommended daily calorie intake is between 1,200 and 1,500 calories a day if you want to drop pounds in a healthy and sustainable way. Skipping dessert or controlling portion sizes are one of the easiest and most effective ways to reduce calorie intake.
- Eat more fibre – Eat at least 30 grams of fibre a day (from food, not supplements) to enjoy weight loss. A recent study by the University of Massachusetts showed that those who did this for a year lost almost as much weight as those who followed a complicated diet plan with 13 components. This is because foods high in fibre make you feel full, and can help you reduce your portion intake and thus, your calorie intake.
If you or a loved one would like professional medical advice on proper diets or weight loss plans, call our friendly medical concierge at +65 6679 7867 or email us at email@example.com and we will be on hand to assist you.