Are you seeing thick, red and scaly patches of skin on your body? Find out more about psoriasis with this 2-minute read.
What is psoriasis?
Psoriasis is a chronic, non-contagious skin condition where skin cells grow faster than normal, causing an outer layer of thick, scaly skin. It affects about 1-2% of the population in Singapore.
What are the symptoms?
There are several variants of psoriasis, some of which are listed below:
- Red, silvery patches of skin, commonly found on elbows, knees, scalp or lower back.
- Dry, cracked patches of skin
- Small, pus-filled blisters
- Thick, pitted, discoloured nails
- Red, smooth and shiny patches along skin folds (underarm/under the breast/groin area)
- Can be itchy, especially in Singapore’s humid weather.
- Most cases of psoriasis happen in cycles. It may flare up, then subside, and flare up again.
What are the treatment options?
Psoriasis cannot be cured, but it can be controlled. Depending on the severity of the condition, doctors will prescribe moisturizers, topical creams, UV phototherapy or even oral medications.
If you would like to seek treatment for your psoriasis, call our friendly medical concierge at +65 6679 7867 or email us at email@example.com to make an appointment today.